Saturday, December 30, 2006

Goin' Fishin !


My beautiful roommate Penny recently celebrated her 23rd birthday. In celebration of her special day a bunch of us girls piled into a landrover and spent the day at the bead factory where they demonstrate how they make the hand crafted glass beads, and Boti waterfall. It was a lovely 1.5hr dirve through the "mountains" (really quite small more like hills). Just getting away from the stench of the port is refreshing but the beauty of the Ghanian countryside is magnificent. We enjoyed a picnic at the waterfall and were sitting around chatting when my friend Ruth(in the red shirt with the fish in her hands) found a home rigged fishing pole tangled among the rocks.

Using some of leftover chicken from the picnic I baited the hook and tossed it into the water. My friends were quite skeptical in thinking that I would really catch anything on our pink stringed rudimentary fishing line. As you can see evidenced by these pictures I did catch a fine looking whiskered catfish about a foot in length...quite an exciting moment. Took us all by surprise ....I don't touch slimy, eel-looking fish so my friend Ruth Heroically removed the hook from its mouth and liberated the poor thing. I think the pictures adequately capture the excitement of the moment. The girl standing beside me with the blond hair is my wonderful roommate Caroline from TX, also serving with Mercyships for 2 years.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way ta catch that fish! If I'd 'a' been there, I'd 'a' taken it off tha hook for ya, too! Yeah man! Great expression on your face!! :^)

~eliz