On the 30th of December I participated in a very special ceremony for a very special family. I have gotten to know Pastor Matell Gracia and his wife Benis through my worrk in the area of HIV/AIDS. Matell and his family take in HIV+ people, many of whom have been rejected by their families. Once they come to live with he and his family he counsels them, gets them involved in a support group and help get them on antiretroviral drugs.It's tradition in Ghana to wait 60 days before naming ones baby (for whatever reason, it's just tradition). Names are very important here, usually a baby is named after a person in the family--a grandfather, uncle, great aunt, etc. And, the baby is believed to take on the characteristics of the person he/she is named after.
The very first day I met Matell was the day he welcomed home from the hospital his new born baby girls-- identical twins. From the very first day we met this family my partner Debra and I felt a special bond with these babies. We were virtually strangers yet they let us join them in celebrating the gift of new life that had arrived in the form of two beautiful baby girls. The Gracia family lives in very rustic conditions (much more rustic then the average Ghanian)--no running water, no electrcity, no indoor latrines. As we followed the family into the low-ceilinged thatch-walled hut we joined their friends and family in welcoming the babies home. As we marveled over these perfect little bundles, we asked if we could pray for the children. The parents were quick to consent and so we bowed our heads and prayed for their protection and committed them to the of the work of the Lord. It's good when tears are shed out of wonderment and joy and not from sadness.
We visisted Matell and his wife often throughout the outreach, and I consider them my Ghanian family (actually he is from the Congo and she is from Ghana). I was more then a little surprised, however, when Pastor Matell told me the names He and Benis had decided on for the babies--Nicole Austin Gracia and Sandra Nyame Gracia. It's crazy to think I have a namesake. It's a high honor for sure, but I also consider it a sacred trust. My heart is forever tied to Ghana...and now so is my name.





2 comments:
How Ah-mazing!! What a privilage! Man, the Austins, they get around..they touch so many people and leave pieces of their lives and influence to so many in so many places and ways...it's a good thing.
love,
~eliz
The girls are so beautiful Nic! I got teary eyes when I read about how you have been welcome in the family...praise the lord!
Post a Comment