Saturday, March 31, 2007

Arrival to Liberia

Above is a picture of the pilot tug that helped manuever us past all the wrecked ships in the harbor safely to our designated dock.

The crew stands at the railing to watch our welcome to the country of Liberia. This is my backyard.


A local group of cultural dancers were part of our welcome. It looked a bit like some type of vodoo dance...somewhat unsettling...last time we were welcomed to the country there were dancers with shrunken heads on sticks?? So I am told... I wasn't on the ship at the time.


A closer shot of the ladies dancing. There is a Ugandan proverb that says, "If you have feet you can dance, if you have a voice you can sing". That statement is nearly true...The Liberians find it quite amusing to watch the white people try to dance. As for singing...I am sure you know a person or two who is tone deaf...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tone Deaf, Nic? What are you talking about? Of course anyone can dance!!