Sunday, May 03, 2009

Failed Garden project

About 4 weeks ago I excitedly shopped store to store for just the right herbs to start my window sill garden. I bought seeds, extra rich potting soil, and painstakingly planted my seeds into egg cartons--Thyme, Parsley and Basil. I watered them faithfully. Well...regularly enough to keep them from wilting. Actually it took 2 weeks just for seeds to sprout and push their tentative little stalks through the dirt.

Keri has contributed to my new hobby with words of encouragement and 3 cute brightly colored pots. The day I went to transplant my seedlings to larger pots I knocked an entire egg carton off the windowsill and my seedlings were scattered. Buried alive in a vacuum bag along with the soil...

A bit discouraged by the slow progress of the seeds, I decided to get a healthy looking well established organic mint plant. My first mistake was planting it in a pot too small for the roots. Then I forgot to water it...within 5 days it was a shriveled shell of a plant. It is now a naked twig with no leaves at all. I have it setting outside hoping the fresh air and Colorado sunshine will miraculous restore its former glory. No progress yet...

Unlike my attempt to grow herbs, my plants are actually fairing pretty well, they're still alive. I could have a green thumb yet. I think my gardening skills are merely dormant at the moment and need awakened...My Nana can grow anything. She can plant a shriveled old bulb she finds lying uprooted in the yard, stick it in a pot and it is transformed into a beautiful green flowering plant. I have a dream of having a garden someday and I have to start somewhere.

3 comments:

Marie said...

I love your blog Nicole! You are an awesome story teller.

Bekah said...

My is saddened with you...Death is a hard thing to cope with. Stay Strong Nic! Don't give up! You have the opportunity to give some more little seeds life! I believe in you, make up for the life that you lost.

Bekah said...

my ***Heart is....