Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Flexibility 101: Hometown Adventure (July 27, 2006)

Leaving Charlotte Airport














It’s amazing that I have been flying internationally for 5 years and never been stranded in an airport…until last night. Exasperating situations when approached as adventures are a little more bearable. After sitting in the plane on the runway for FOUR hours, American Airline finally canceled our flight rescheduling it for the next morning at 6AM. I’ll tell you though sitting on the runway in that cramped cabin renewed my good faith in the average American. People were patient beyond belief and the steward was excellent—very professional. They unloaded us, re-booked us and disgruntled but no worse for the wear each passenger wandered away from the terminal to get some sleep. I was thankful to be able reclaim all my luggage. Finding a nice quite spot against the wall of the baggage claim area I settled in for the night with my sleeping bag, pillow and ,oh yes, my sleep mask. I met some interesting folks over the past how ever many hours it’s been I’ve lost count. I met a long lost cousin tenth removed from Scotland. I was telling her that my family came from Scotland a long time back and it just so happens that her maiden name is Austin. She is in the process of studying her family history so she gave me her e-mail address and would like to get some information about our family. Maybe she’ll trace back how we are linked. Although a bit travel weary she and her husband were a cheery couple. There is camaraderie that is shared among waylaid travelers that is kind of fun. The kindness of strangers can be such an encouragement. The picture included in this entry was taken at the Charlotte airport.

No comments: