Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My life now...

At the moment I am living with my sister, Keri and her husband Micah. They have generously offered me one of their spare bed rooms which they transformed from an office to a bedroom with enough space for a single bed, bookshelf and desk. It's about half the size of my cabin on the ship minus 3 roommates so all things considered its pretty spacious. I by far have the best view of the house. I see a brilliant sunrise every morning through my window which faces East. I am happy. I have my world maps hanging, a few family photos and some miscellaneous artwork that I have collected during my travels.

The other residents of the house are my oh-so-cute and cuddly 9 month old niece Sklyar Nicole Rue (if they named her after someone else they are certainly not telling me).Skylar has not started crawling yet but she seems more and more curious everyday and I don't think it will be long until her desire to be more mobile prompts her to crawl . Her new discovery of the week is that she can make a clucking sound with her tongue, pretty adorable. Of course as the doting aunt I think most everything she does is adorable. The highlight of my day is when I am still laying in bed and Keri brings Skylar in to lay in bed with me. She likes my brightly colored map hanging from the ceiling, sometimes I lay there and tell her all about Africa. On other mornings I read to her until she starts fidgeting which lets me know she is ready for breakfast.

Not to be forgotten are the two hairy members of the family. Jack: the personality-filled pug from the animal rescue center who has a larger wardrobe then I do and prefers to poop in the house rather then venture out into the snow on cold days. He also loves watching Animal planet. This would be the moment to say that Jack and I are still establishing a relationship. He protested my arrival by pooping in my room 3 times in two weeks, and peeing on a stack on books sitting on my floor. At the moment Jack is wearing his red hooded sweatshirt with little pines trees printed on it. This is my favorite piece in his wardrobe because his hood falls down over his eyes and he sometimes runs into the walls. Pretty entertaining...

Sabot: (which evidently is the name of some piece of Army artillery) is the good natured golden retriever who almost died as a puppy from canine parvo and had to have multiple blood transfusions. He barely survived. He is now nearly two. His hobbies are: hiking, playing in the snow, going for walks, eating poo in the backyard, and playing with Jack and Micah.

No comments: