It's funny I don't know what to write about now that I am no longer in Africa. In Africa my life was exciting, I had poignant stories to tell, deep reflective entries to share and cool pictures to post. Now my life seems uneventful. Certainly nothing anyone would want to read about. There are a lot of "Mommy blogs" out there where women around the nation are keeping us posted on latest tooth that has come in for baby Timmy, or the latest domestic disaster. There is also a growing phenomenon of cooking/recipes blog out there. People swapping helpful kitchen hints and yummy recipes. Then, I think there is the third category of blogs and that is the " I am off on a big adventure and want to keep everyone up to date on my travels (and maybe trigger a bit of envy) without writing a lot of e-mails. " Certainly there are other categories of blogs but for simplicity's sake I'll only mention those three. Previously my blog fell into category number 3. Now, however, it is merely a blog an everyday 'normal' life blog. I will do my best to post interesting little tidbits of information.
I have started going to the singles small group class at church on Sunday morning. Just a side note: the label "single" becomes more and more stigmatizing the further into my twenties that I get. It stirs in people (esp. married people) the desire to 'fix' the situation. Usually people will make comments like, "I have a nice son I'd like you to meet", or "so there is this guy, T, I think you guys would be perfect for one another" or worse yet "there is this guy M. , he has a really great personality". "Good personality" is often the code word for "socially awkward" My sister Keri's latest line is "maybe you should try signing up for e-harmony". Not to knock anyone who has found that special someone on e-harmony or match.com , it seems to be working for a lot of people.
So, I walked in the room this morning and there were only two other people there. I started to realize 10 minutes later when the room started filling up that I was merely one of those not-so-cool people who actually show up on time. Obviously, the more socially savvy singles show up 15 minutes late. The table I was sitting at filled up quite quickly but then I noticed a girl sitting all by herself at a table. Trying to spare her the awkwardness of sitting alone and looking like she has no friends I asked if I could join her. She said yes but was quick to assure me that "my friends are coming they wanted to save them a seat". What is this Middle School ??? She was nice enough, a Louisiana girl, but as her friends started to arrive I realized I had inadvertently found myself at the "cool table"--the rock star looking male worship leader with shaggy hair, the tall funny I've-worked-on-the- church-staff and know everybody guy, and the stylishly dressed sophisticated looking girls. Anyone who knows me well, realizes I may felt a little out of place. Although my sister Keri claims I have no social boundaries it's not entirely true. I have never been cool, fashion-forward, graceful or sophisticated such people initially intimidate me. Being an athlete in high school is the one things that kept me from being labeled as a "geek". I have learned, however, when you are the "new kid" in a situation if you pretend to be at ease no one else suspects otherwise. So I confess sometimes the air of confidence is a complete facade, but I am sure I am not the only one who pretends...Isn't it completely silly that no matter how old we get we still just want to be liked and accepted? Rejection I think is the ultimate wound to the human soul...
But I am diverting...all this to say week 2 of the singles group went well. We talked about C.S. Lewis's take on charity, discussed at our tables some deep and meaningful questions, and all in all my table of "cool" people were pretty nice although I had the distinct feeling of being the outsider in a close-knit group of friends. More on the singles group to follow...
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
friend!! I loved this! And I understand your, what's the correct verbage, trauma? :)
I'll have to tell you sometime the story of a wedding I attneded in September. I ended up sitting, completely alone at not one, but two tables (how does God let that happen to an already feeling mederately insecure girl? I must have used up all my mercy on the mercy ship :)
Anyway..I hope you have a lovely week!!
love, meg petock
Nicole,
Hilarious, love that I can read up on your life again! I know God has someone incredibly special for you and he will be a very blessed man, but until then keep the jokes rolling!=)
Love you!
Post a Comment