
I took care of a patient yesterday who had scabies. I itched all night, even in my sleep. I am in the process of sterilizing all my bedding and uniform from last night. I had the unfortune privilage of giving a presentation on scabies during college and I still remember the photos I used. For those of you who you may not know what scabies are they are like body lice. Little critters that burrow under the skin and lay eggs---gross right? I am the first to admit that as a nurse I can be a bit of a hypochondriac. Last week there was a terrible GI virus going around the hospital, an entire unit was under quarantine. By the time it had reached our floor, we had 4 patients affected and several of our staff had been sent home sick. All that day I just knew I was feeling Nauseous, I was trying to persevere through "terrible stomach cramps" (we were told this was one of the most common symptoms). In addition to that I was braced to run to the bathroom at any moment in case I needed to throw up. I am happy to report I never actually did get the virus so the only thing I can conclude is that all those symptoms were merely in my head. I hope this constant itching that I am currently experiencing is also only in my head. Until I know for sure whether I have scabies, I am limited my contact with Skylar and am considering quarantining myself to my room. Oh yeah, did I mention scabies is known as "the seven year itch" because it takes so long to get rid of?



No comments:
Post a Comment